Friday, November 10, 2006

Geek Talk!

I recently received a treat in the mail…the folks at Belkin sent me one of their newest N1 Wireless Routers to test. I really enjoyed their previous Pre-N router…it was easy to install and rock solid in it’s performance, the thing almost NEVER needed to be reset. I almost didn’t want to replace my existing router since it was so reliable. But I knew I had to give the new stuff a try. So I set a clock and disconnected the Pre-N router and plugged in the N1 Wireless Router, popped in the software CD-ROM and ran the set up program. Total time to get the new router up was less than FIVE minutes. And it worked great! Previous speeds around the house to my laptop were a consistant 100 mbps or better, now I’m clocking 300 mbps with no drop outs. I knew the system was strong, but I didn’t know how strong until my neighbor who lives down the street…SEVEN houses down the street, asked me if I recently added a wireless network to my home. He didn’t see the Pre-N router on his computer, but the new N1 router he saw right away. One of the nicest things about the N1 is the display panel. It leaves little doubt about what the equipment’s status …if the display is blue, it’s all good. Any problem and the display turns auburn…


In a nutshell, this thing is really good. It gives reliable service and it’s very fast. Belkin includes Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) for enhanced encryption protection, as well as “Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Network Address Translation to “double your firewall and safeguard your network from Internet intruders.” Whatever that means.

Belkin’s on-line price is $149.00…shop around and you might find it for less…

Here’s a link to the Belkin catalog page… http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=273526

No comments: